6 January 2017

a little visit to copenhagen | denmark





Apologies for my fourth post on my trip to Copenhagen - possibly a little overkill but it is such a wonderful city it wouldn't have given everything justice. If you're interested, you can see my post on Torvehallerne Food Market here, Freetown Christiania here and Nyhavn Christmas Market here. Another apology has to be the sheer amount of doors I took photos of when I was in Denmark, but to be fair I don't ever pass on the opportunity to take a photo of a pretty door when I'm in London so Copenhagen wouldn't be any different! 

We picked an AirBnb for our trip, and we stayed in Islands Brygge. If we're completely honest it isn't the most interesting area of Copenhagen, but it was pretty convenient and a perfectly lovely place to stay and really easy to walk into town. During the summer, Islands Brygge gets flooded by Danes off to do some bathing in the harbour, which I would have loved to have tried had it not been winter and absolutely freezing. We had dinner at Cafe Alma, which has mixed reviews, but I loved it and would 100% recommend.







We basically only had one full day in Copenhagen so we had to fit in as much as possible. I thought one of the best ways to do this would be to go on a walking tour, We took a gamble and tried Copenhagen Free Walking tours. I have to admit that the fact it was free was a big plus - they operate on a tips based system so you pay what you think it's worth. We went on the Classical Tour of Copenhagen, which was fantastic. The only downside of that kind of tour is that to make enough money they put loads of people on the tours. It was still completely worth doing, and I think we paid around £10 each - but I could see other were paying much more and some less. We managed to see the Cathedral, the round tower and then the Rosenborg Palace. Our guide pointed out lots of random little details along the way and I think when you only have such a short time to go around a city, these kinds of tours are invaluable in making sure you fit in as much as possible. At the end of the tour, we were dropped off in Torvehallerne Food Market, which you can read about here. Needless to say, we stuffed our faces with Smørrebrød




Afterwards, we headed down to Nyhavn where we visited the Christmas Market which was on at the time. You can read more about that here. There's more to Nyhavn than a Christmas market though, it's full of history and colourful buildings and one of the most famous Danes, Hans Christian Andersen, lived there for a little time. During the summer, the Danes head down to Nyhavn to sit along the harbour with some drinks. Unfortunately, we didn't see that side of it because it was pretty chilly while we were there. 

Then we headed to Christiania, also known as Freetown Christiania, which is a self-proclaimed autonomous neighbourhood. It's a place which is completely different to the rest of Copenhagen - they have their own rules, weed is tolerated, they have their own flag and their own system of property ownership. You can read more about my visit here

That's about all we had time for while we were there. It started to get freezing and we had to run off to PB Chokolade for one of the best mochas I've had for a long time! But I had such a great time - I'm a complete convert to free walking tours and will definitely be trying them out in a different city soon. 

Anyone got any recommendations for where to head next? 

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig