23 January 2017

8 things i want to do in berlin

8 things to do in berlin

I'm heading to Berlin in a few weeks time and I couldn't be more excited. I've been to Germany before - once I headed to Rostock for the day and spent some time on one of the few beaches that Germany has to offer, and the second time I headed to a very small town in the Black Forest on what was probably one of the worst school trips ever. I mean, we went there on a coach, stayed in a shabby hostel and I got done for buying cigarettes out of a vending machine. I didn't even smoke them...So you could say that my grade C German GCSE has gone to waste slightly...

I've found almost impossible to get cheap flights to Berlin, so I was ready and waiting when all the airlines announced their sales just after Christmas. In fact, I spent most of my Boxing Day huddled around my laptop and my work laptop (always avoid cookies when booking flights, right?) ready to pounce. And although the flights weren't amazingly cheap, they were better than usual. I cannot wait. Time to put that German GCSE to use! Here's 8 things I want to do when I finally get to Berlin: 

Walk along the Unter den Linden, which connects the Brandenburg Gate with the Alexander Platz. The Brandenburg Gate is on my list to see anyway, and this looks like such a gorgeous street. I'm happy to devote a blog post to just one street (like Roupell Street in London) so maybe I'll end up doing the same again? Also it's ridiculously pretty.

Check out the Hackescher Höfe which is supposed to be near Alexander Platz. I want to see little alleyways, bars and independent shops. 

Eat some traditional German food. Now I know that Germany isn't well known for its food in maybe the same vein as Italy or France but we all flock to those German markets every Christmas and whack down some form of German food - now I want the real deal. So far I can't decide between Schwarzwaldstuben, Clärchens Ballhaus or Kalle Klein.

See the Berlin Wall. An obvious choice of course, but one that has to be done. I'm hoping to see it from the East Side Gallery.

Drink an absolutely massive beer. I know we're talking about Berlin and not Bavaria here, but my head just connects any part of Germany with a sizeable beer. I'm supposed to be on a low carb diet but I'm going to give myself the day off just this once...

The  Reichstag Building. Because let's face it, you probably wouldn't come to London for the first time and not see the Houses of Parliament. Plus I'm a politics geek and love seeing different parliament buildings across Europe. 

I've already registered to see the views of Berlin from the dome of the Reichstag Building, but if I'm feeling adventurous and in need of some serious exercise after that big beer and all the German food I've eaten, I might give seeing the view from the Siegessäule (Victory Column) a chance. But at 270 steps I'm not putting money on me completing this!

Visit Markthalle IX. I'll be in Berlin on a Thursday, so I'm probably going to have to head here for some street food for tea. I'm trying to make my way around lots of different London markets (check out Maltby Street here).

If anyone has any tips for things to see when I'm in Berlin or to share any posts they have of their trip to Berin, please share them with me. This year I'm determined to make sure I'm more prepared when I'm away somewhere and will gladly take some advice!

Annie x
Share:

2 comments

  1. Great ideas! I'm heading to Berlin in about a month's time and my list's looking a bit like yours - can't wait to try all the food! x

    Laura // Middle of Adventure

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design Created by pipdig