21 December 2016

peppermint creams | recipe


Peppermint creams were a bittersweet recipe for me to get my hands into, because they remind me of my Grandad so much. When I was growing up, my Grandad always had a pack of sweets on the side next to his armchair and they were always one of four things on rotation: mint creams, mint imperials, wine gums or fruit pastilles. He would always let me and my brother sit there and make our way through them. 

Secondly, a disclaimer: the absolutely crap photos I've taken of these peppermint creams do absolutely no justice to just how good these mints are. If you're after something to make in the run up to Christmas, which are ridiculously cheap and ridiculously easy then you won't find much easier than this. Also, can we just ignore the dodgy circles? I had to use a bottle cap to cut them out. I could have kicked myself, I own biscuit cutters in all shapes and sizes - from cats to tulips to handbags - but not a circular cutter in sight. 

You don't have to cut them out in circles at all of course - many people go with stars but I think circles are exactly how I remember peppermint creams to be. You can also add food colouring to make them different colours, or dip them in chocolate for an extra special touch. 


Ingredients:

  • 1 egg white
  • 400g icing sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract
  • Drop of lemon juice (I used lime juice and that's fine too!)


Method:
  • Put the egg white in a bowl
  • Whisk until the egg white starts to foam - this won't take long at all
  • Add the lemon juice and mix together 
  • Sift in the icing sugar
  • Add the peppermint extract 
  • Start to combine with a spoon
  • Eventually it will become too hard to combine with a spoon, so get stuck in with your hands
  • Dust a work surface with icing sugar
  • Roll out the mix onto the surface until it's about 2cm thick
  • Dust a separate chopping board or baking tray with icing sugar 
  • Cut the mix into circles and place onto the separate board/tray
  • Leave the circles to dry overnight 


Ta da!
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig